Thursday, February 10, 2011

Most Dangerous Job

Near the end of my last class today as a substitute teacher for the fifth grade, two little girls looked up from their writing assignment.

Mr. K, whats the most dangerous job? asked Annabel. Before I could respond, she gave me the answer. Lumberjack, she said, very conclusively. You could chainsaw your leg right off.

Well, you do have to know what youre doing, I said. There are definitely risks involved with the work.

You could fall out of a tree, too, she said.

I couldnt argue. I did hesitate to rank it as the most dangerous job, though. One job youll never see me apply forbridge painter, I said. I always get a little uneasy when I see someone working, or walking, high on the cables. That seems very dangerous to me.

And what about window washers? asked Sam. Theyre high in the air, holding on by a strap.

Vertigo was beginning to set in, so I tried to change the subject. I know one job that isndangerous, and thats being an editor, I said. The biggest risk there is a paper cut.

Sam shuddered. Ooh. That stings.

That gives me an idea, I said. The next time Im back here, well have everyone write a short essay on the most dangerous jobs.

I know what the safest job is, said Sam. She paused. Pillow tester.

No comments:

Post a Comment