Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Class Distinctions

Subbing for the elementary-school music teacher last week, I got some good advice from an unlikely source. A sixth-grader came through the classroom door first.
“I’m upset,” he announced.
What was wrong?
“Nobody likes me.”
I was sure that was not true and told him so.
Changing the subject, he asked, “What are we doing today?”
“Your regular teacher left two movies for all of today’s classes: ‘Annie’ and ‘The Sound of Music.’ Take your pick,” I told him.
“You want my advice,” he said (it wasn’t a question), “Don’t give this class a choice. They’ll argue for half the period over which movie to watch.”
“You’re probably right,” I told him. “Thanks for the tip.”
So, “Annie” it was, and there were no problems.
Forty-five minutes later, the sixth grade left and the second grade arrived.
For them, I chose “The Sound of Music.”
“Have you seen this before?” I asked.
They all admitted they had, but shortly I would learn that was not true.
Early in the film, after Captain von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) has left the children in the care of their new governess, Maria (Julie Andrews), a member of the household staff conspiratorially tells Maria that she believes the Captain intends to bring home a new wife.
 “That’s not who he marries, though,” said one of the second-graders in voice-over.
“What do you mean?” asked a classmate.
“He’s going to marry Maria,” he is told.
“No, don’t tell me the ending!” he cried.
For me, the high point of the day came moments later, during the “Do-Re-Me” number, when three little girls in the back of the room sang along extemporaneously but softly with the film’s cast of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment